Christmas is a Universal Language: Translate here

Friday 10 April 2020

Suzanne's April Ornaments

Hi Everyone! I hope you all are safe and well. This is our fourth week of stay at home in Pennsylvania, USA and it will continue at least through April 30th. Even though I don't "know" any of you, I pray everyone is taking care of themselves and their families. 

I didn't have the 2018 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue so I decided to use the Christmas Carol theme "Hark the Herald Angels Sing". 

My first ornament is from a January 1989 For the Love of Cross Stitch Magazine Victorian Ornaments designed by Kathy Orr. I stitched it on 14 count mocha aida finished as a half circle flat ornament. I have a little bit of this edging left from my mother's stash and thought it was perfect for this ornament. 

My second ornament this month is a freebie designed by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum. She has many free angel patterns that can be found here: tiag.com/otherproducts/xmasangels. I had a little mishap finishing this one. I wanted to finish it as an oval but I just couldn't cut the oval well and smooth the fabric over it. So decided to move onto plan B. Since my material was already cut into an oval, I thought a drum shape would fit within the cut fabric. My picture doesn't show the detail of the wings which has such pretty color changes. I only had green felt in my stash that was soft enough to hand sew, but I like it. It has a little bit of gold metallic thread for the halo which also doesn't show up in the picture too well. 

Thanks so much for this community of stitchers and I look forward to seeing everyone's April ornaments.

6 comments:

Elfie said...

I love both your ornaments, and the way you finished them. I am particularly partial to angels. I've stitched quite a few of the TIAG angeks, but not this one - it has gone on my 'to stitch' list now.

Khristine Doiron said...

Beautiful ornaments! And I love the different ways you finished them!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely ornaments and great finishing styles too. I have stitched several of the freebie angels in the past. I have quite a Heavenly Host on display at Christmas!

Nikki said...

Your ornaments are so pretty. The trim is so delicate and old fashioned looking; I love this. I think I probably stitched the angel years ago and gave it away. Yours looks so wonderful, I think I will stitch it again !!!

Nancy said...

Your angels are beautiful! I especially like the first one in a semi-circle. It will be beautiful on a Christmas tree, or anywhere else for that matter, even throughout the year. Love it!

Gwen said...

Love your unique finishes.